Sunday, August 26, 2012

From card to wall-hanging!

Last December, I created a card that I truly loved. It was for the December "Steampunk Challenge". However, it was a bit fragile so I had put it somewhere safe. When I went to retrieve it, I discovered that the adhesive that held the card front to the card had failed, so I decided to pull it up and create a wall-hanging with it.

Here it is:

Here's the description from the original posting. I had to take down the photo because the card had been subsequently picked up by Scrapbook News & Review magazine.

I stamped the biggest butterfly from the Butterfly Dreams set onto the reverse of a piece of patterned kraft paper from the Tim Holtz' Kraft Resist Ideology Paper Stack using Onyx VersaFine ink. I then heat embossed the image with clear embossing powder and colored it with Copic markers. The Copics blended fine on the cardstock, though the kraft color influenced their color. When I was pleased with the butterfly, I "fussy cut" the wings and edged them with black marker because I can't abide contrasting edges. Must be the Virgo in me.

I took a piece of butterfly patterned paper from the same pad, embossed it using Clockworks Cuttlebug folder, inked it with Chipped Sapphire, Broken China, and Worn Lipstick Distress Inks, distressed the edges, then edged with Black Soot Distress Ink. Three metal coins from EK Success were colored with Copic markers and ribbon was used to position them following the sketch.

I found a piece of cloudy blue vellum in my stash which was die cut with a Spellbinders die. The butterfly's wings were adhered with different levels of dimensional adhesive. Watch parts became the butterfly's body and antenna and were adhered with Matte Accents. I actually learned from past mistakes and set the piece aside overnight.

When I was assured that everything was dry and secure, I adhered the vellum/butterfly piece to the card's front, added some Ideology Game Spinners, used some rhinestone brads to add some bling, then stamped the sentiment and die cut it.

To make it into a wall hanging, I grabbed a piece of Kraft Resist Ideology Paper and a Butterfly stencil by The Crafters Workshop. I sponged Distress inks through the stencil onto the Kraft Resist cardstock, then mounted it onto really seriously thick black cardstock.

I adhered a key to a butterfly charm and added some tiny watch parts to the top of the key and coated them with Matte Accents.

The two charms on either side of the butterfly were created from EK Success metal coins, gears, Ideology Game Spinners, and rhinestone brads.

All three dangles were adhered to ribbon and hung from old, Old, OLD Karen Foster brads that had hooks on 'em. Very useful indeed.

Here's a close-up view of the three dangles. Click on it to see a larger version!

Thanks for visiting today.

This piece shall be entered into the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp & Show: No Rules challenge

Craft Your Passions Challenge Blog #124: Power of Three


  1. Wow! This is a gorgeous wall-hanging, Kathi! Congrats on getting the card published!

  2. So congrats on the original publishing of the card and then how impressive to upcycle it into something so gorgeous!! True creativity :)

  3. Gorgeous project! The Simon Says Stamp & Show design team thanks you for participating in this week's challenge! - Ashli

  4. Oh, Kathi, such an amazing piece! I just love it! I love all the bits and details--and your additions to make your wall hanging from your card face! And congrats on that card being published--I can see why. You are such a creative kid, especially for a Virgo! (Just kidding--on the Virgo bit, not the creative part!) :^)

  5. This is a beautiful design and see why you'd want to keep it and cherish it. Love how you've done the background. Congrats on being published as well.