Monday, July 30, 2012

Bon Voyage stash!

This one is completely "out of my box", so I should be saying Bon Voyage box! I also used a ton of older stuff from my stash, plus some neglected tools! I had fun creating it though, so that's what counts. Now someone just has to go on a trip so I can send it to them.

Here it is!


My focal image is the Third Coast's Painted Ladies (WT005-S) stamp, which is located on page 21 of the Spring 2012 catalog supplement.

It was stamped with Onyx VersaFine ink and heat set. The Painted Ladies were colored with Copic markers. Being me, I googled Painted Ladies and found a photo that was close to the scene in the stamp. I then chose my colors accordingly. When I was done coloring, I (finally remembered) to add clear Glaze pen to the windows to add dimension and shine. I masked the image using Winsor & Newton masking fluid and airbrushed with my custom less-than-B21 and B21 Copic markers.

Then the big fun started. I wanted the card to look vintage collage-y. First I chose script text patterned cardstock from DCWV's Timeless Type 8x8 stack and a collage-style piece that had a San Francisco postmark. I cut that out and got out an old, Old, OLD Stampin' Up "Postal Card" stamp, which was stamped to the left of the postmark.

Then I raided my sticker drawer and found ancient Nostalgique stickers by EK Success. I should mention that I didn't initially find what I wanted, so I pulled three drawers out of my Iris cart, dumped them, and re-organized them for 45 minutes. ADHD is so much fun.

Anyway, I used some tags from one of the sticker sheets, but I first scratched 'em up with my handy-dandy Tonic-Tim scratcher tool. Then I sponged Distress over 'em and distressed the edges with my Tonic-Tim distresser. The stickers were looking a bit empty, so I pulled out a sheet of 7 Gypsies rub-ons from the Whimsey sheet and added the pointing hand and clock to the tags. The tag with the hand still needed something, so I added a 7 Gypsies sticker (Historic location) to it. Much better. I found a humongo eyelet and added it to the sticker using my neglected Cropadile and then hammered the be-jeepers out of it using my Tonic-Tim hammer.

The sticker with the clock was added to the San Francisco/Postal piece to cover up a playing card and an eyelet was set. Red, white, and blue twine was dragged across an Old Paper Distress pad to get rid of the whiteness. Then the twine was wrapped around the tag/SF postal piece and through the tags hole. I echoed the twine wrapping thing on the left.

I had to use lots of dimensionals to pop the Painted Ladies focal piece over the twine, so I used two layers of ejection foam from QuicKutz. I kept all the excess foam because I knew it would come in handy one day. I also used some really, really old 3L photo corner stickers on three sides of the piece.

I dug into my sticker drawer some more and found two sheets of old typewriter-key dimensional stickers which I used for the sentiment. I also found some old QuicKutz rub-ons, so I used the "Bon Voyage" definition too. The bottom left corner looked lonely, so I added two rub-on keys from that same 7 Gypsies sheet.

I think I'm done blathering, so I'll say "Thanks for visiting today".

I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp "Anything Goes" challenge.
Simon Says Stamp & Show "What do you say?" challenge
Outlawz Copic/Promarker Friday: "Anything Goes"

13 comments:

  1. Hey, Kathi, I'll go on a trip if you'll pay for it--then you can send me the card, too! :^P Had to laugh about the ADHD comment, because I'm right there with you! (They didn't know what to call it when I was a kid!) ;^)
    You've created a very unique, beautiful card, using so many bits and pieces. Love how it all came together!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi...this card is fantastic! I really love your focal point of the painted ladies! What a cool stamp and I love the way you colored them. Your background papers look amazing with the painted ladies. Love the keys, the "BON VOYAGE" and the twine. Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing your card with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful card! Love the nostalgic feel to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I love your mix of elements! Thanks for playing along in the "Anything Goes" challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job using your stash! Love how this card turned out so vintagey and all of the elements look amazing together.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVET-LOVE IT-LOVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the vintage collage look and those houses look wonderful as the focal point! I'm in awe of how much attention to detail you put in your cards - even with ADHD!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful card, such lovely details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic card! Love the look of the houses and all the details are wonderful. Thank you for joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh love your vintage-y card! I kept looking for painted "ladies" though - LOL! You sound like me - rummaging through things in your stash - which means I probably have ADHD too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Compliments for your gorgeous card!

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love this row of houses! Your card is gorgeous! Our card club talks about Third Coast Stamps a lot I need to explore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love this row of houses! Your card is gorgeous! Our card club talks about Third Coast Stamps a lot I need to explore!!!

    ReplyDelete