Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ah, to be cool under the sea!

It's over 90° here and don'tcha know that the freakin' central air went out? Yep. It's true and I'm whinin' about it. I wish I had a pool or lived near a beach so I could cool off. Alas and alack. I can't. There's always the shower, but that doesn't last long. I can't even open a window because the freakin' male cicadas are screaming their little lungs out trying to get laid, so they can create the next generation, who will burrow into the ground and do this all again seventeen years from now. These cicadas are hormonal teenaged boys. 'Nuff said.

Anyways, I decided that I was going to get my mind off my hot house, the horny cicadas, and the impending bill for the repair/replacement of the ac/furnace. I chose to play around some more with my Distress Paints, my water mister, and create a tag and do a challenge or two in the process.

This is what happened.



So, first I put some Chipped Sapphire, Salty Ocean, and Mowed Lawn Distress paints onto my craft sheet. I spritzed the paints and the tag and my face with some water from a Mini Mister. I dragged the tag through the paint, spritzed it with water, and heat set the first layer. Then I repeated the process using up the paint that was on the craft sheet. The next step was to sponge a mix of Black Soot and Mowed Lawn Distress paints through one of the plants on an old Club Scrap stencil to create sea plants along the bottom. I also sponged a combo if Mowed Lawn and Peeled Paint over a leafy plant on the same stencil. When I was happy-ish with it, I heat set that layer. Then I grabbed my beloved new favorite Tiny Circles stencil by The Crafter's Workshop and sponged Picket Fence Distress paint here and there. Because I could. So I did. That layer was heat set.

Octopet by Stampotique was stamped using Onyx Black VersaFine ink and embossed with clear detail embossing powder. Two fish from justjohanna/Odd Bird Planet were treated the same way. Both the octopus and the fish were colored with Silkz Acrylic Glazes which added some shimmery color to them.

Since I save everything, I happened to have a scrap from a Hammermill Inkjet Traansparency. I cut it to the same size as the tag, punched a hole in it, and then it took a ride through the Big Kick in the gorgeous Art Nouveau Waterfall embossing folder by Couture Creations.

The sentiment is from the Animal Love set by The Rubber Soul. I've had several of those sets forever. I probably got them because of the silly sentiments that go along with goofy animals. I can't resist either. Anyway, I stamped the sentiment onto a reject tag, cut it down, and added it to the tag.

I stapled the embossed transparency over the tag and then added some pretty sheer colored ribbon to finish the tag.

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this tag into the following challenges:
Stampotique Designer's Challenge #102: Transparent
Simon Says Stamp: Anything Goes
Anything Goes Challenge Blog #93: Handmade Background
Party Time Tuesdays #122: Anything Goes

7 comments:

  1. Fab tag, Kathi! Very artistic design! Really love the colors! Hope you get your AC fixed soon! Meanwhile, try to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the AC,hope it wasn't anything major and really glad you only spritzed yourself with water and not like, glimmermist or something! Love this tag, could not figure out how you got those beautiful bubbles but of course, you are creativity embodied and they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and I love how you worked with this week's Stampotique theme. Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tag!! Thanks for joining us at the SDC. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Tag. Thanks for joining us this week at Stampotique Designer's Challenge. Hope to see you again real soon. xx Sarinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous - LOVE the embossed transparency!! Thanks for joining us at the Stampotique Designer's Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous tag Cathy, so cute and I love the texture.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
    hugs
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete