Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Steampunk Alchemist

 It's Tuesday, which means it's time to share a project created for Topflight Stamps. If you've visited before, you know I love, Love, LOVE Steampunk! So when I saw AALL and Create's Steampunk Alchemist Clear Stamp Set #387, I knew that it would be added to my collection! For some reason, I love to create Steampunk themed Mixed Media artwork, especially canvases, so that's just what I did!


Here it is!



Topflight Stamps Products Used:
Silver Metallic Cardstock from the Neenah Creative Collection

PSA: There are lots of fantastic new products at Topflight Stamps, so you should definitely click on over there after reading my instructions! BTW, if you'd like to get 12% off your order at Topflight Stamps use THIS LINK!

Other Products Used:
Solar White Classic Crest® Cardstock by Neenah Papers
Tuxedo Black Memento™ Ink by Tsukineko®
8x10 Canvas Panel by Artist's Lofts® Necessities™
Media® Texture Sand Paste by DecoArt®
Little Black Dress and Concrete Fresco Chalk Paint by PaperArtsy
Laboratory Thinlits Dies from the Tim Holtz® Alterations Collection by Sizzix®
Frames Dies - Source Unknown. Oops.
Chain Die by Elizabeth Crafts
Delicate Chain Die by Poppy Stamps
Copic® Markers:
   Alchemist's Skin: BV000, E50, E21, E11, E00
   Alchemist's Hair and Beard: E07, E18
   Alchemist's Suit and Hat: B37, B39
   Alchemist's Cravat and Hat Band: R56, R59, R89
   Alchemist's Shirt: E81, E84
   Alchemist's Monacle: Y21, Y23, Y26, Y28, BG93, BG96
   Buttons: C8, C10
   Bottles and Can: E81, E84, B37, B39, B41, BG000, BG10, BG11, R01, R11, R56, G43, G46, C0, C1, C3
   Bulb Base: B41, C1, C2, C4,; BG90, BG93, T1, T3, T4; Y21, Y23, Y26, Y28
   Bulbs: Y02, Y04, Y06, Y13, Y15, Y17, &19, Y35, Y38, YR18, R14
Design Tape by Tim Holtz® Idea-ology® by Advantus
White Gelly Roll® Gel Pen by Sakura® of America
3D White and Black Foam Adhesive Squares by Scrapbook Adhesives® by 3L

Instructions:
  1. Texture Sand Paste was spread over an 8x10 canvas panel so the canvas texture would be disappear. 
  2. While the paste was drying, I stamped the Steampunk Alchemist, the bottles and can, and the three lights from the Steampunk Alchemist Clear Stamp Set #387 and fussy-cut them.
  3. By the time I was done fussy-cutting, the paste was dry, but I blasted it with my heat gun to make sure it was dry so I could paint the background.
  4. Stone Fresco Chalk Paint was mixed with Concrete and Little Black Dress Fresco paints and painted onto the canvas. 
  5. The same paints were mixed into the remaining Sand Paste in the jar so I could spread it over the Distressed Brick 6x6 Stencil by Paper Rose. Alas, I diluted it a little too much, so I just smooshed the sand paste onto the canvas to create a textured background.
  6. The piece was blasted with my heat gun to dry it, which caused some bubbling, which just added to the texture. 
  7. I had left the lid off of the sand paste and was delighted to see that it had thickened enough to apply over the Distressed Brick 6x6 Stencil. This time it worked-ish -- or at least enough to create a subtle brick pattern on the canvas.
  8. The stenciled bricks were left to air dry while I used my Copic markers to color all of the elements that I had fussy-cut earlier. When I was done coloring them, they were all edged with a dark marker so that there would be no unslightly white edges.
  9. The periodic table and the diagram from the Steampunk Alchemist Clear Stamp Set #387 were stamped with Onyx Black VersaFine Ink because they were so very detailed and I wasn't planning to color them with Copics or any other medium, though I should have. Oh well. Hindsight, don'tchaknow?
  10.  The shelf die from the Laboratory Thinlits set was used to cut brown cardstock several times. These were layered.
  11. A square and rectangle frame die were used to cut brown cardstock to add frames to the table and diagram. 
  12. Silver metallic cardstock from the Neenah Creative Collection was die-cut with two different chain dies.
  13. At this point the canvas was mostly dry, so I blasted it with my heat gun, edged the canvas with black Fresco Chalk paint, and dry-brushed the black paint over the canvas to bring out some of the details of the brick and such.
  14. Wood patterned paper was adhered to chipboard, which was layered onto the base of the canvas. 
  15. Washi tape was adhered to the bottom of the canvas.
  16. "Steampunk" and pointing hand from the Steampunk Mixed Media Transfers were applied as shown.
  17. All the elements of the scene were adhered using tape runner, double-sided tape, and foam adhesives.
Thanks for visiting today!

I forgot to add that I'll be entering this canvas in SanDee and amelie's Steampunk November/December Challenge!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Love the hanging Edison lights, and the tophat guy! Fun make! So glad you joined us for our steampunk challenge at Sandee and Amelie’s Steampunk Challenges! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us at SanDee&amelie’s Steampunk Challenges. There is no doubt, this is in the alchemist's laboratory. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete