Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Put a Bug On It (or a spider)!

This week's Stampotique Designer's Challenges (#257) is "Put a Bug On it".

If you'd like the chance to win your choice of $30 worth of Stampotique stamps, you should play along with this challenge. Visit Stampotique Designers Challenge blog and be sure to read the rules so that you'll have the chance to win that great prize!!! Remember to check to see the deadline for all of this month's Stampotique Designers Challenges!

You might have guessed that this card was inspired by the Little Miss Muffet nursery rhyme. My version stars Little Miss Zombie with the tuffet replaced by a bench and no curds/whey. Should have substituted a bowl of brains?

It should also be noted that my spider, Mr. Stripes, is an arachnid, not an insect. So there.

Skull MoonLolaSit Down, and Mr. Stripes were stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento ink (Imagine Crafts), colored with Copic markers, fussy-cut, edged with a black pen, then set aside while a background was created for them.

140 lb. Mixed Media cardstock (Strathmore) was sponged with a wash of Pthalo Blue and Dioxazine Purple Media Fluid Acrylic (MFA) paints (DecoArt) . When the paint was dry, Jet Black Archival ink (Ranger) was sponged over the grass on Carnival stencil (Fairytale Creations) and over the Batground Layering stencil (Stampers Anonymous).

A scrap of Mixed Media cardstock was die-cut with both Grassy Edges dies (Die-namics). The grass was then painted with Pthalo Green Yellow, Pthalo Green Blue, and Green Gold MFA paints. Another scrap of Mixed Media cardstock was die-cut twice with the Woodland Branch die (Memory Box) and the Branch die (Savvy Stamps). All three branches were colored with Copic markers.

The painted Grassy Edges die-cuts and the branch die-cuts were adhered to the painted background with Media Matte Medium (DecoArt), which was then used to adhere Skull MoonLolaSit Down, and Mr. Stripes. I realized after the fact, that I should have left each layer to dry a bit longer before adding the next element, but I suppose that I was either "in the zone" or impatient. Probably both. However, I was fortunate that the little white bits look rather like stars, so it's all good. Happy accidents and all don'tchaknow.

When the piece was dry, I added Garnet, Lipstick Red, Red, and Lemon Yellow Spica Glitter pen to the Skull Moon's and Lola's cat's eye. Purple Spica Glitter pen was added to Mr. Stripes eyes. Several layers of Clear Glaze Gel pen were added to the button eyes on both Lola and her cat's eyes, Skull Moon's eye and teeth to give them all a dimensional glossy look.

My last step was to edge the image panel with Jet Black Archival ink and adhere it to a black card.

Looking at it now, I do wish that I had put Lola on the right side and Mr. Stripes on the left of the Sit Down bench. Oh well.

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this card into the following challenges:
Addicted to Stamps Challenges: Trees, Leaves, Branches
Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenges: Anything Goes
Stamps and Stencils Challenges: The Colors of Autumn


  1. This is an amazing card, I love the scene you have created so much Kathi!!!
    Hugs and Good luck for the challenges! :)

  2. I love this quirky card, the colouring is fantastic
    thanks for joining our challenge over at
    Debbie DT

  3. What a super cool autumn scene you have created! Thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils this month! Branka DT

  4. oooo this is fabulous! Such fun! thanks so much for joining my challenge at stamps and stencils this month! Hugs rachel x

  5. Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx