Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Spring Scene

Due to the late arrival of spring temperatures, the trees, shrubs, and spring flowers are finally blooming, so I decided to celebrate by creating a spring scene thank you card.

I started the scene by stamping the barn from the Nature stamp set (Andy Skinner/Stampendous) with London Fog Memento ink onto both Neenah cardstock and Eclipse Tape. The tree from the Nature stamp set was stamped on the right of the barn with a few branches slightly over the barn's roof. The Eclipse Tape version of the barn was fussy-cut and placed over its counterpart and the tree on the left was stamped.

The mask was kept in place and a cast-off curved piece of cardstock was placed over the base of the trees and the barn. The sky was then airbrushed using a B21 Copic marker, the Copic Airbrush System, and a torn piece of cardstock. The spray was directed over the torn top of the cardstock, which was then moved downwards, sprayed again, and so forth.

The curved piece of cardstock was flipped, positioned to cover the sky, and the grass was airbrushed using a YG13 Copic marker.

All masks were lifted and the barn and tree trunks were colored with Copic markers. Since the tree stamp from the Nature stamp set is a bare winter tree, a variety of YG Copic markers were used to add dots around the branches to look like leaves. Some tufts of grass were added here and there too. When I was happy with the spring scene, it was set aside for a bit.

Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna,  Quinacridone Red, and Titan Buff Media Fluid Acrylic (MFA) paints (DecoArt) were painted onto 140 lb. Mixed Media cardstock (Strathmore) and allowed to dry. A layer of Media Matte Medium (DecoArt) was sponged over the painted cardstock and allowed to dry. White Media Crackle Paint (DecoArt) was unevenly brushed over the painted cardstock and allowed to dry. The unevenness (Is that a even a word?) of the Crackle Paint application resulted in a variety of crackling. The edges of the cardstock were lightly sanded to reveal even more of the painted cardstock. Some Frayed Burlap Distress and Aged Mahagony Distress inks were sponged over the crackled painted cardstock to add more visual interest.

A Vintage Lace Alterations Decorative Strip die (Sizzix) was used to die-cut brown cardstock. Dies from he Fancy Framed Tags 2 set (Spellbinders) were used to die-cut the brown and crackled painted cardstock. The Thanks die (Elizabeth Craft Designs) was used to die-cut brown cardstock.

The components of the card were assembled and that's all she wrote. 

Thanks for visiting today! 

I shall enter this card into the following challenges: 
Artistic Inspirations Challenges: Anything Goes with a Twist of Spring
A Gem of a Challenge: Spring is in the Air
Crafts 4 Eternity Challenges: Spring

1 comment:

  1. OMGosh, Kathi, this is just a beautiful scene that you created! Love the coloring and bg! And your framing and die cuts look gorgeous with it! :^)
    Hugs, Penny