Tuesday, April 29, 2014

My PaperArtsy {3UP} Project

Here's the snippet of my PaperArtsy {3UP} project that I posted yesterday.

As you read yesterday, I received Eclectica/Darcy 08 rubber stamp set. One of the buildings in this stamp set has a roof part that reminds me of a funnel. I had some Prima Water Pipe Part Junkyard Findings, which contained a faucet. An idea began to form. I knew that the project would end up being a bit bulky and dimensional, so I decided to make a flat canvas wall hanging.

Now I'll go into excruciating detail about the construction of my {3UP} canvas. Go grab yourself a cuppa and get comfy. 

My mother is a travel agent and ends up with lots of maps and brochures. She rotates the older material to the basement, but was running out of room, so I went over to help clear some space. Most of the brochures went into recycling and I claimed the majority of the maps to upcycle.

I knew that I didn't want the canvas texture, so my first step was to adhere one of these old maps to the canvas.  Pea Coat and Eggplant Fresco Finish Acrylic paint were watered down to increase their translucence, painted onto the map-coated canvas, and heat set.

If you're eagle-eyed, you'll notice that the map is of the Balkans and is seriously out of date.

A thin layer of Fresco Finish Crackle Glaze was spread over the outside 2” perimeter of the canvas, and heat set. Nougat Fresco Finish Acrylic was painted over the Crackle Glaze, heat set, then lightly sanded to reveal more cracks. Chipped Sapphire and Dusty Concord Distress inks were sponged onto the edges.

The Gears stamp from Darcy Eclectica 02 rubber stamp set was repeatedly stamped onto the cracked surface using Watering Can Archival ink. The innards of the gears were colored using a Chipped Sapphire Distress marker. 

Each of the three buildings from the Eclectica/Darcy 08 rubber stamp set was stamped twice with Tuxedo Black Memento ink onto Neenah cardstock, colored with Copic markers, fussy-cut, and edged with black markers. The gears, windows, clock, doors, and flowers from the duplicate set were fussy-cut, edged, and pieced over their counterparts. The windows and clock face were coated with several layers of Clear Gelly Roll Glaze pen to give them a glassy look.
The stars from the stamp set were repeatedly stamped onto a piece of 140 lb. Mixed Media cardstock by Strathmore using Dandelion Memento ink, colored with Copic markers, coated with VersaMarker, and heat embossed with Filigree Clear Detail embossing powder. The cardstock was painted with watered down Pea Coat and Eggplant Fresco Finish Acrylic paints and heat set. The embossed stars resisted most of the paint. Excess paint was gently cleaned off of the stars using a baby wipe.   Chipped Sapphire and Dusty Concord Distress inks were sponged over the Punchinella (stars), Gears, and Time Travel stencils by The Crafter’s Workshop.
The painted cardstock was adhered to the center of the canvas. Washi tape was adhered to the base of the cardstock and the pieced buildings were adhered over the Washi tape. 
I wanted to frame my scene and also wanted to use some of the Water Pipe Parts Junkyard Findings, but was flummoxed. Then I remembered that I had seen a cool Steampunk piece on Pinterest that used drinking straws as piping. Better yet, I had some in the house! 
I grabbed a handful of Bendy plastic striped drinking straws. I first tried to paint them with Brushed Pewter Distress paint, but that didn't work. So I grabbed a second handful, primed 'em with black gesso, and left them to dry. They were then painted with Brushed Pewter Distress paint, propped up on toothpicks that were stuck into styrofoam, separated by pencils, and allowed to dry. 
The painted straws were bent and adhered around the stamped scene via slicing and splicing. A pipe and faucet from Water Pipe Parts Junkyard Findings by Prima were added in the same manner. A slit was cut in the straw and the pipe parts were inserted.

A piece of Mixed Media cardstock was painted with Pea Coat and Eggplant Fresco Finish Acrylic paints and heat set. A thin layer of Crackle Glaze was spread over it, heat set, and Nougat Fresco Finish Acrylic was painted over it, and heat set. The sentiment was stamped with Majestic Blue VersaFine ink and heat embossed with Clear Detail embossing powder.
A gazillion gears were adhered along the right side of the canvas. An Ideology  Timepiece and Game Spinner were added to the lower left. The sentiment panel was popped onto multiple layers of foam adhesive and adhered to the top left corner. Pewter Treasure Gold was used to edge the piece and to highlight the edges of the gears. And finally, here's the photo of the finished canvas!
Thanks for visiting today and for reading all of that!


  1. What a brilliant project, love all the details. Well done!

  2. Looks awesome Kathi! The straws are fantastic!

  3. Wow Kathi, what a fantastic project and boy did you do well in the very short time you had. The detail in your project is fantastic and your idea to use the straws is genius! This post is not tedious at all and I for one thank you for taking the time to explain so clearly how you created such a wonderful piece.

    Lesley Xx

  4. Absolutely brilliant!!! Totally love it. Thanks for joining in. x

  5. What an amazing creation, Kathi! I so love the entire design, but it's all the little details that keep me looking! It is a wonderful, artistic piece! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

  6. Oh my, this is Fabulous! I love how you used those pipes with that image. Brilliant idea! And those stars!! The stars are wonderful!

  7. Wow, this is a seriously crafty creation!! Very clever straw piping and a great layered background - terrific project :)