Thursday, September 5, 2013

Paper Artsy #3Up!

During the last several months, I've become enamored of stamps and paints by Paper Artsy. In my quest to learn more about these great products, I've become quite the stalker of Paper Artsy's blog, You Tube channel, and Facebook page. So when I saw something about a challenge for fans that was being sponsored over at Twitter,  I asked to be included and was delighted to find out that I could play along!

The challenge is that we would be sent three things and we'd have to create a project using them. I love challenges like this because they're the ones that make me think and force me to grow outside my usual comfort zone!

Well, since Paper Artsy just celebrated their tenth birthday, Leandra, Queen Paper Artsy, was feeling festive and sent quite a bit more than three products! I received a color swatch, a stamp set from the Lynne Perella Collection, specifically LPC004, a large triangular Masonite pennant, Teresa Collins Everyday Moments Buttons, a few pieces of Smoothy Stamping Card,  a cute container filled with three tiny tags, eyelets, brads, and safety pins, and a sheet of instructions. I was especially thrilled by the stamp set as I had been ogling all the sets in the Lynne Perella Collection, but couldn't decide which to get first! Now that impasse has been broken and I can start collecting. :D 

Here's the wall hanging that I created with the goodies in my package!


All stamping was done using Onyx Black VersaFine ink, which was heat set. A stamp positioner was used to line up the vertical row of ladies. Most of the images were colored with Copic markers with a bit of chalk-penciled blush and shading. Clear Gelly Roll Glaze pen was added in spots, and then the pieces were edged with Black Soot Distress ink. The hats were stamped onto mostly solid patterned papers (including one from the swatch sheet!), fussy cut, and added to the trio of vertically stacked ladies.

I wanted to use as many stamps from the set as I could, so I needed a larger surface for the pennant. I searched my stash and came up with an acrylic page from a mini book kit to be used as the base. This acrylic page was sanded then painted with Vanilla, Tinned Peas, Mermaid, Pumpkin Soup, Hey Pesto, Beach Hut, and South Pacific Fresco Finish Paint. I discovered that the paint took longer to dry completely on acrylic, so it was set aside while the Masonite pennant was painted with the same combination of colors.  When I was finished with the pennant, the acrylic piece was fully dry and ready for some stenciled accents. South Pacific Fresco Paint was used to stencil three rows of heart arrows from the Arrows and Hearts stencil by The Crafter's Workshop and some text from the Art Is stencil, also by The Crafter's Workshop.
***
Digression: I must note that these paints are amazing. They go on smoothly, blend wonderfully, and dry quickly to a chalk-like finish that accepts stamping really well. I also should note that I am still low on the learning curve of using them well, but at least I'm enjoying the process!
***
End of digression: There was a 1.25” gap between the Masonite pennant and the top of the acrylic page, so I cut three pieces of chipboard and adhered them together to fill that space and to be the same height as the Masonite. An embossing folder was used to emboss metal Flashing Tape, which was then adhered to the chipboard brick. I used a stylus to add stripes, dots, and crosshatches to the tape, brushed South Pacific Fresco Paint over the embossed ta detailed tape, let the paint set for a minute, then wiped it off with a paper towel leaving paint in the indentations. 

A flat wooden button from my packet was painted with Vanilla and Pumpkin Soup Fresco Paint and a Masonite heart was painted with Beach Hut and South Pacific Fresco paint. The heart was used to cover up the buttonholes. When the paint was dry, I added Glaze Pen over it to make it shiny.

The tags from the packet were painted using Vanilla, Pumpkin Soup, and South Pacific Fresco paint. Alphabet Rub-ons were added to them. I watered down some Vanilla Fresco paint and brushed it across the stamped colored shell pieces.

I first tied silver metallic ribbon through the holes on the acrylic page. Then the metallic block was adhered over it and the rest of the piece was assembled.

Here's a closer view of the top part of the piece.


Whereas this packet was initially daunting, I had a fabulous time creating it. I'm so very pleased to have been included in Paper Artsy's celebration and wish them years and years of growth and success!

All the projects from #3UP particpants are being featured on Paper Artsy's blog this week, so you should check them out! Just grab a cuppa or a cocktail, get comfortable, and clear some time to do so. There's been some amazing work! Oh! My project is up over there with a shorter version of the above. The instruction sheet asked us to be brief and concise in the verbiage for their blog post. That probably was the most difficult part of the challenge for me as I tend to be a teensy-bit verbose.

Thanks for visiting today!
  

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful wall hanging Kathi! Well done on a fabulous creation for the #3up challenge.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful project, love the stamps which you combined and all the elements, also the brilliant coloring.
    Thanks for your lovely comments about my cards on Design By Ryn's facebook, it means a lot to me:-)
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful artwork. The combination of colours & images is great. Love the textures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kathi! This is such a cool work of art! Love all the stamping you did and the finishes you used. Beautiful colors on this and the painted embossing at the top is fabulous! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathi, thanks so much for your lovely comment over at PaperArtsy... and what a fabulous hanging this is too!! Love how you've tinted the LP images - gorgeous.

    It's a while ago now, but I'm 99% sure I used the Ranger Archival Sepia for the stamping - it's a much brighter orangey brown than the Versafine one, so gave a better contrast. Hope that helps...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete