Monday, June 24, 2013

An Owl Bookmark and Paper Artsy Fresco Paints

So, my friend and "boss", Susana, told me about Paper Artsy's Fresco Paint. She's an evil, evil enabling woman.

First I had to do my requisite amount of research and watched myriad U-Tube videos, read reviews of the paints asked friends their opinions, blah, blah, blah. Then I agonized a while because after all, I do not have much luck with acrylic paints or rather, didn't until I tried the Distress Paints. Being me, I agonized a bit more, then found a sale and bought a few opaques and a few translucents in my usual favorite color palette.

Then they sat for a spell while I watched even more videos, several times. Finally today, I got them out and gave them a go.

Here's what happened.






































I started out by grabbing a leftover scrap of 140 lb. Strathmore water color paper, figuring that I'd be abusing the heck out of it, plus I wanted it to stand up to the rigors required of being a bookmark, which is hard work.

Three opaque Fresco paints were put onto my craft sheet, then sponged onto the paper using Cut N Dry Foam. I blended the colors, experimented with the coverage, and generally played around. When I was happy with the result, I heat set the paints. Then I repeated the process adding a few of the translucent paints into the mix. I added a bit of water spritzes, and did some blending and "knocking back" using a baby wipe. When I was happy with that layer, I heat set it. I did this several more times, building up layers of color, then set the paper aside to dry completely.

I cut a piece from the Study Hall patterned paper from the Oxford Collection by Basic Grey. I rarely buy 12x12 paper these days, but AC Moore had a sale and had this sheet, which I figured (correctly) would be useful. I "fussy cut" the top of the paper between the books and used a black Big Brush pen to change the color between the books, though I should have done this step when I was feeling a bit steadier-handed. This patterned paper was adhered to the dried painted watercolor paper.

I wanted to use the owl from the Birdy Up stamp by Stampotique, so I placed a Post-It note over the other birdies, inked the stamp with Jet Black StazOn ink (and yes, I sniffed the pad), removed the Post-It note, and used a Stamp-a-ma-jig stamp positioner to position and stamp the owl.

The next step was to color it, which I did using Distress markers. I ended up having to add shading with a Prismacolor pencil because the ink from the Distress markers didn't work for layering. Go know. I also used the colored pencils to deepen the eye and talon color. Then I coated the eyes, beak, and talon with my ever-so-useful-almost-a-necessity Clear Gelly Roll Glaze pen!

The quote is from a set that I've had forever by Paper Trey Ink, but never used. Bad, bad me!

The flourishes at top and side were created by sponging Frayed Burlap Distress ink over a stencil by Andy Skinner/Tando (which was also purchased due to that evil temptress mentioned above).

The bookmark was mounted on brown cardstock and I called it "Done!"

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall be entering this bookmark into the following challenge:
Stampotique Designer's Challenge #105: Anything But a Card
613 Avenue Create #25: Anything Goes 
Challenges for Everybody: Anything Goes!



9 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm always impressed by the amount of work you put into your creations and the detailed narrative you provide too :) These paints look like fun but I'm trying to be good and stick with the million and one supplies I've already got!
    Love the quote - so very true (I'm an avid reader and will re-read a book!)
    He's a pretty funky owl and looks quite at home on his perch of books.
    Thanks for the truckload of comments you left for me - hope you had fun looking through my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing bookmark! Paired with the perfect quote, it is super duper over-the-top amazing! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool bookmark, Kathi! I know all about enablers. Evil people.
    Love your background, your darling owl, the cool books, and great sentiment! You just put everything together beautifully! :^)
    And stop sniffing the StazOn! It'll damage your brain!
    (I have no idea if it will or not.)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I could really use a bookmark that looks EXACTLY like this one! Just sayin! I am in love with every darn thing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this bookmark and I'm glad you finally got the paints on some card!Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathi what a wonderful mini work of art! The books look almost real! love all of the techniques and materials you've used. And I too have many stamps that have never met an ink pad :( So many stamps so little time! Thanks for playing in our neighborhood at 613 Avenue Create!
    Kathi
    Co-Owner/DT Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bookmark Kathi, thanks so much for joining in with us at Stampotique this week :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful bookmark!!! Thanks for joining us at Stampotique. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great. Love the several DP's you used to differentiate the books...It's awesome! Thanks for joining us at our neighborhood---613 Avenue Create! God bless!

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete