Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bombshell Stamps Hump Day Hop!

Greetings and welcome to the last stop in February's Hump Day Hop. You should have come here from Glittery Katie's blog, where you most definitely saw something amazing.

The beautiful and talented Alison, Bombshell's Challenge Captain, has set this month's challenge, "Some Like It Hot!"

Since it's been cold and blustery, my mind keeps wandering off to Hawaii, though I've never been there. Now we all know why I'm so absentminded.

My project is in progress, so come back later to take a gander, but not the male goose variety.

1.25 hours late, but here it is! (And it's finished, though it does look as though she's dancing on a cliff. Retrospectively, I should have added the sea, then the night sky, but that'll be another project for another day).


The card is a combination of Bombshell's Hula Girl, Hawaiian Girl, and Tiki Party sets.

The Hula Girl was stamped onto Neenah cardstock, onto Eclipse tape, and onto a Post-It note. I cut out the arm from the Post-It note (doesn't that sound homicidal?) and placed it over the arm on the stamped image. Using my trusty Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, I stamped the Bamboo vertically over her arm, positioned another Post-It note, and stamped the Tiki torch. The other bamboo/tiki torch were stamped the same way. I moved the Post-It note and stamped the flames using Dandelion and Cantaloupe Memento inks.

The next step was to color all the images with Copic markers which I'll list below. When I was done, I fussy cut the Hula Girl that had been stamped onto Eclipse Tape and placed it over the Hula Girl in the scene. I then masked the base of the scene with repositionable Scotch Tape and painted Winsor & Newton Masking Fluid over the bamboo/tiki torch/flame combo. When everything was masked, a night sky was airbrushed using the Copic airbrush system. When I wss pleased with the combination and coverage, I lifted all the masks and added the sandy beach using Copic markers. The flames had gotten kind of blah, so I restamped them using acrylic paints.

I decided to go with a CAS design because it was getting late and because the scene was sort of intensely colored. I had some old, Old, OLD Heidi Swspp Hibiscus tape, so I adhered that to a Kraft Card front, matted the stamped scene in a lighter textured Kraft cardstock, and adhered it over the tape. The sentiment was stamped using Crimson VersaFine ink, die cut, matted, and adhered. The card still needed a little something, so I curvy cut the front using an old curvy Fiskar's ruler, then edged it using Fired Brick Distress ink.

BTW, the color is a bit off, but that's what happens when you take photos at night. I'd take another photo, but it's raining...

Thanks for visiting today!

In case you got lost or want to revisit some of the outstanding artwork, the hop list is below!
Bombshell Blog
Alison
Torrey
Kim
Emily
Rachael
Jodi
Alaine
Glittery Katie

Copic Markers used:
Skin: E00, E11, E50, R20, BV20
Hair: E55, E57, E59
Top: R24, R39, R59
Skirt: YG03, YG05, YG07, YG17, YG95
Lei: YR12, YR15, Y11, Y13
Tiki Torches: E21, E23, E25 W2, T5
Sky: B66, B69, B79, B99
Sand: E41, E42, E43, E44

11 comments:

  1. Kathi, your work is great. I can't wait to see what it looks like when its completely finished, because as you said its a work in progress. I love the intense color you were able to produce, and the Heidi Swapp Hibiscus tape goes so well! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOT!! Great masking- really clean.
    Love her shakin' her stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card, Kathi! Fantastic coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, have my photos been making you dream of Hawaii? Good. Next time we go you can hop in my suitcase; though with the way I pack it will be pretty crowded. Be sure to bring your own breathing apparatus, too!
    Hey, love your hula girl---love the coloring, those great tiki torches, (which all the resorts have & light at night after some dude runs around blowing a conch shell), love the hibiscus tape and the Kraft with this. Poifect!
    I liked my gander. But not your goose. (Figure that one out. I certainly can't.)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful coloring! The hibiscus tape goes great with these stamp sets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card - always so interesting to hear how much work you put into your fantastic cards!
    Love that tape - the perfect touch for this fab creation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. I love the curvy edge to the card, the flaming torches, the hibiscus paper. It's really beautiful. It looks pretty finished to me. Did I mention that I love it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a pretty card i too am dying for some warm weather. Been way to long of a cold stretch for me this year.
    I also know what you mean about being late. For the first time i made a card for your monthly challenge the red n gold one and didnt get it posted on time. So I'm watching for the march theme and planning on gettin in early this time. I'm bad about waiting til the last minute. I think they have a name for that.
    Procrastinater? Should have been my middle name.
    Anyway again awesome card i love that blue color on it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh love your deep vibrant coloring on this one, Kathi! We are having a bit of hurricane like weather here lately - but still hot, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me feel guilty, your cards are always so involved and gorgeous and I am like, what do I have in this drawer to stick on? Love the washi tape by the way, perfect accent!

    ReplyDelete