Here's what Kathi's got to say about her challenge and yes, I am quoting myself and referring to myself in the third person!
e.e. cummings said, "The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."
"Puns and word play always make me smile. Really good puns make me laugh. Create a project that makes YOU smile, then share it with us! As always, have fun with this challenge!"If you'd like the chance to win your choice of $30 worth of Stampotique stamps, you should play along with this challenge. Visit Stampotique Designers Challenge blog and be sure to read the rules so that you'll have the chance to win that great prize!!!
Rootie Toot and Henny Penny were stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento ink onto scraps of Neenah cardstock. Rootie Toot was stamped twice and Henny Penny was stamped four times onto cardstock scraps. I wanted to have a mirror image of Henny Penny where she was facing left, so I tried something that I had heard about, but was never able to do successfully. Henny Penny was stamped onto an acrylic stamping block, then a scrap of cardstock was placed on top of the wet ink and the back of the paper was pressed into the ink. I was thrilled that I got a passably decent impression, so I did it again!
One Rootie Toot and three Henny Pennys were colored with Copic markers, fussy-cut, and edged with a black marker. The wings of the rest of the stamped impressions were colored with Copic markers, fussy-cut, and edged with black markers. All the hens and the rooster, plus four wings were set aside in a little box while I worked on the rest of the journal page.
You might (or might not) be asking, "Why did she create a journal page instead of a card?" The answer is that every now and then or often I get an idea that wouldn't really make a good card or make a card that anyone might actually want to receive. But, I've got to get these ideas out of my head because there's not a lot of room left in ye olde noggin. Therefore, I've decided to make journal pages for those special projects.
Surprisingly, I've digressed. My journal is a 6" x 8" Mixed Media notebook by Strathmore that contains 140 lb. cardstock, which will hold up to most everything. I figured out where the sky should go and taped off the bottom with washi tape. The sky was sponged with Primary Cyan, mixed with a fair amount of Titanium White Media Fluid Acrylic (MFA) paints by DecoArt. A Small Sponge Dauber (Tsukineko) was used with Titanium White MFA paint to create the clouds. Titanium White and Primary Magenta MFA paint were mixed and sprayed with water to create a light wash, which was then sponged over the clouds to add a touch of pink to them.
The tape was lifted and repositioned to cover the painted cloudy sky. Carbon Black and Burnt Umber MFA paints were mixed and sponged over the bottom part of the page. This paint was lightened with Titanium White MFA, then mixed into Media Texture Sand Paste, then applied to the sides and bottom of the page using a palette knife. Some tiny glass marbly things were pressed into the wet Media Texture Sand Paste to add some interest. The page was set aside to let the paste dry for a bit.
A scrap of Mixed Media cardstock was die-cut with the spade die from the Garden Tools set by Memory Box. The handle wasn't big enough, so an old QuicKutz die was used to die-cut three handles. The handles were colored with Copic markers and the spade blades were colored with a silver leafing pen. The new-improved longer handled shovels were put together. The blades were shaped using an embossing stylus, then a bit of the brown Media Texture Sand Paste was added to each shovel. These were left to dry.
A scrap of white vellum was die-cut with one of the dies from the Conversation Bubble 2 set by Spellbinders. Adhesive-backed red cardstock was die-cut with the Alphabet Plain die set by Impression Obsession. The letters were adhered to the vellum to create my ever-so-witty and punny sentiment.
By the time the sentiment bubble was done, the Media Texture Sand Paste was dry, so I was able to adhere the sentiment and position Rootie Toot at the base of the "hole".
Blue Green Light MFA paint was used to create the grass. A bit of Primary Yellow MFA paint was mixed into the Blue Green Light MFA paint to make a lighter green, which was then used to paint a lighter color of grass. Burnt Umber MFA paint was painted onto the dried brown Media Texture Sand Paste to add color variation to the "earth". I did contemplate adding some skulls, bones, and worms, but decided against it.
The shovels were adhered to the wing of each Henny Penny and the additional wings were adhered to partly cover the shovels. All three Henny Pennys were adhered to the journal page and I called it done!
Thanks for visiting today!