Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Experiments with Shrink Plastic, Fresco Paints, & Stamping!

I read a fabulous tutorial by Carol Quance on Paper Artsy's blog. She used shrink plastic, Fresco Paint, and Paper Artsy Stamping to make a bracelet. Here's a link to the tutorial!

I decided to give it a go, but I made a key chain, which will be much more usable for me!

Before I share it, I will mention that I am not great at using pliers and other tools and manipulating jump rings. I will also mention that I'm rather low on the learning curve with acrylic paints. Nonetheless, I decided that my key chain is a passable result for a first go.

Here it is lying down on a piece of black velvet. You might notice the cat fur and the little grasshopper on the velvet. Think of those elements as adding visual interest.














































Here's a close up (taken with my right hand whilst holding it with my left. Hence the interesting focus).













































I followed Carol's Tutorial fairly closely, except that I didn't die cut the flowers. I fussy-cut them. I also had issues using Versamark and UTEE, so I coated 'em with Glossy Accents, which gave me quite the glare on this sunny (and HOT) day!

I also didn't use the same set of stamps. I used Hot Pick 104 and I used different colors of Fresco paint.

I shall enter this project in the following challenge(s):
Anything But a Card Challenges #23: Steampunk!
Just Us Girls 197: Mixed Media
Alphabet Challenge Blog: K is for Keys (and Keychains?)

16 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I NEED one of these! But I am at work and will forget about it in the next few hours I am sure. Short attention span syndrome I believe it is called. And I have cat hair on everything, wouldn't know what to do if I found a clean surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passable, it's gorgeous and very practical - well done you!

    You've got to keep trying and having a go at things, that way you learn from your mistakes and get better!!!

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My I am very impressed with what you have done here! Way to think outside the box and try something new! You did a great job! Thanks for joining the JUGS girls and I this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely no expert with the pliers either Kat. Great idea to do a key chain - very practical. It's turned out beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  5. A clever idea - thanx for joining us at the Alphabet Challenge.
    Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun that you did this on shrink art!!! Looks great :) Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great make, I think i looks fabulous, especially for a first attempt.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Alphabet Challenge.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't know you were a novice at jump rings et al... the key ring is gorgeous. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one having trouble with the UTEE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very pretty - you wouldn't guess you had any problems making this ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks terrific! Much, much better than passable. I love it! Julie Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, very cool and so much more than passable :) Looks like there's going to be something else on my shopping list now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is terrific! Love the shape you have used. Now I am seeing everyone else's I wish I hadn't made mine into a bracelet!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, this is really cool, Kathi! You apparently learn techniques effortlessly! :^)
    Hugs, Penny
    I do love the focus on the close-up--looks like something I might do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful! I love the stamped images you used and that you made them into something practical as well as beautiful!
    As far as the cat hair, I have found that it's impossible to craft without any pet hair getting on the project or in the photo! I love 'visual interest'...might have to borrow that term!
    Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my I also have "visual interest" on everything - being the mom to 3 cats no matter how hard I clean or try to keep them OFF my desk, I know they lurk and touch everything while I am asleep :) I love your project and I think it is more than passable ~ thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete