Alison, our talented and lovely Challenge Captain, has decreed that this month's challenge is:
"Textures and Layers!" I want to see lots of funky textures, and plenty of layers!
You should have arrived here from Kelli, where she doubtless wowed you with something creative and wonderful!
Here's my card!
That's the Sheriff Pin-up from Bombshell's Retro Cowgirls set. I bet she has no problem keeping people in line. If not, she can always rope 'em and hogtie 'em, though they might like that. "One never knows, do one?"
She was stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento ink onto Neenah cardstock and colored with Copic markers. Gold Spica Glitter pen was added to her spur, buckles, and the dealie on her holster. The image panel was die cut using a Nestabilities die, then kept in the die while Old Paper Distress ink was sponged around the sides and the bottom. A slightly larger Scalloped Rectangle Nestibilities die was used to die cut a sheet from the Pride 6x6 pad by Authentique.
The center panel of the background is a actually 4.75" x 6.75" piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper. I sponged several colors of Paper Artsy Fresco paints onto it, blended them, heat set them, and repeated the process til I was moderately happy. Then I grabbed Vintage Photo Distress paint and sponged it through the Harlequin stencil by The Crafter's Workshop and then heat set it. It was too dark, so I knocked it back (technical term) with a baby wipe, and sponged some more Fresco paints over it too. You can still see some of the Harlequin pattern, but it's subtle. Just like me.
I set that aside and grabbed a scrap of red patterned paper sheet from the Pride 6x6 pad by Authentique (It's on sale now). It took a ride through my Big Kick inside a herringbone embossing folder by Cuttlebug. I then grabbed a scrap of blue patterned paper from the same pad and ran that through the Big Kick inside a star embossing folder. After embossing them, I lightly sponged white Snowflake Fresco paint over the raised bits, the idea being that the stars pop out and the herringbone look kinda like stripes. These embossed strips were adhered to the painted watercolor sheet and the edges were distressed with the edge of a scissor, then edged with a Krylon gold leafing pen. Gold foil stickers were added between the layers to contribute a metallic shiny element.
I found a gold metal corner in my stash and painted it with Chipped Sapphire Distress paint, then immediately wiped it off. The paint behaved itself and settled into the grooves just like I wanted. I do like when that happens. I heat set the paint and burned myself because I can't seem to remember that metal gets HOT when exposed to a heat gun. Definitely a dumbo moment. *sigh*
A Grungeboard arrow was painted with Snowflake Fresco paint and heat set. It was edged with Krylon pen. The sentiment, also from the Retro Cowgirls set. , was stamped using Onyx Black VersaFine ink, then heat set.
I mounted everything onto a white card front and called it done. The photo might have a certain suckitude, so I might try for a better one tomorrow. Or not.
Thanks for visiting today!
Here's the Hump Day Hopper Roster!
Copic markers used:
Skin: E000, E00, E11, R20, BV20
Hair: C4, C5, C6, C7
Outfit: B37, B39; R22, R24, R27, R29, R59
Hat, Gloves, and Boots: E40, E41, E42, E43, Y23, Y26, R27
Rope: Y23, Y26, E81, E84
I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
• Simon Says Stamp and Show: Stripes -- I hope my herringbone counts as stripes!
• The Squirrel and the Fox: Use something metal
• Sugar Creek Hollow: Mixed Media
• Emerald Faeries Challenges #44: Dies & Punches
• Oozak Challenge #15: Blue, Stars & Stripes