Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chicks just wanna have fun!

Yeah. I'm back in that wacky mood.

This was inspired by the Stampotique Designers' Challenge #99: Summertime.



The image is Birdy Up by Stampotique which was stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento ink and colored with Copics. I love this stamp because there are four birds in a row and you can use one, two, three, or all four. All four are cute, whimsical, and tickle my funny bone. I decided I was going to do a "Chicks on the Beach" card with them, so I gave them bathing suits. One has an itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny, yellow, polka-dot bikini. Because I could.

I colored 'em to loosely match the patterned papers I had sort of chosen, which are from Graphic 45's On the Boardwalk 8x8 pad. I tend to hoard all my Graphic 45 papers because they're almost too pretty to use, but this card kind of screamed "Coney Island" at me. So I listened. If you've visited before you know that I have visions and that I hear voices in my head and that my supplies talk to me. Deal with it. I do.

Once I had them colored, I coated their eyes with Glossy Accents and added clear Glaze pen to their beaks and feet. I let that dry and then fussy cut all three birds. I also fussy cut the four bathing dudes from one sheet of the Graphic 45 pad and also cut out the Coney Island rectangle. As is my wont, I edged everything with black marker and/or Distress ink. I did add a matching gemstone to each bathing beauty!

The next step was to tear Kraft cardstock, ink the edges with Brushed Corduroy and Gathered Twigs Distress Inks, and stippled both colors of Distress ink over them. They were layered to look like beach sand, placed over a scrap of sea-lookin' patterned paper by Flair Designs, and a scrap of sky blue patterned paper by Fancy Pants. I do love when I can use my hoarded scraps.

I matted the image panel with white cardstock and set it aside.

I grabbed a piece of Kraft cardstock and cut it to 4.75" x 6.75" It took two rides through my Big Kick. Its first ride was within a the Post Card Texture Fade embossing folder that had been inked with white pigment ink. It then took another ride within the Bottle Caps Texture Fade embossing folder that had been inked with Gathered Twigs Distress ink. This panel was edged with Gathered Twigs Distress ink and a bit of Black Soot Distress ink. I covered the seam between two embossed textures with a piece of Film Strip Ribbon, which was stapled on using the ever-so-helpful Tiny Attacher. Gosh. I love that thing. Two Adage Tickets were crumpled, then inked with Distress inks, then they were attached to the upper left along with the Coney Island rectangle.

The final step was to computer generate the sentiment, print it onto Kraft cardstock, edge it with Distress inks, then attach it using the Tiny Attacher.

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
Stampotique Designers' Challenge #99: Summertime
Clear It Out Challenge: More than two patterned papers and Anything Goes!
Crazy Amigos Stampotique Challenge
Oldie But A Goodie Challenge: Inspired by a Song "Girls just wanna have fun" would be my song!
Paperminutes #269 : On The Beach
Use It Tuesday Challenge #55: You Can't Touch This --that would be any Graphic 45 paper. It's too pretty to cut.

10 comments:

  1. This project just made me smile! Definitely evokes summertime thoughts! Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this card is just cool! I like it.

    bug hugs, Heike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the visions, the voices, and the supplies talking to you. I am also afflicted that way. ;^)
    This is fabulous, Kathi! Love what you did with your birdies--too adorable! Love the cool papers, the scene you created, the embossing, the design, and perfect embellies! :^) Great card--I loves it!
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I'm going to be singing that all day now! Fabulous and really creative I love it!
    Thanks for playing along with our inspired by a song challenge at Oldie But A goodie and good luck
    Hugs Laurie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha this is just brilliant - love how you have created 'old with the new' images. FABULOUS!! Thanks for joining in with us over at Stampotique. Polly x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card! Thanks for playing along at Use It Tuesday!
    Tracy DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun card! Thanks for using that Graphics 45 paper and linking up with us at Use It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. seems the voices don't talk to me only ;) lovely piece!
    thanks for playing with us at Stampotique Designer challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fab - love those fun birdies!
    Thanks for playing with us at Oldie but a Goodie!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete