Sunday, July 15, 2012

Spread your wings -- Steampunk Style

Here's a card using the new Aviator Parakeet (KG-049-J) from Third Coast Rubber Stamps. He lives on page 49 of the new Spring 2012 catalog.



Do you know that parakeets come in oodles of color variations? I didn't, so I googled and found one that I felt like using. This variety will make this guy a frequent flyer on my blog. Smiley

Anyway, Aviator Parakeet (KG-049-J) was colored with Copic markers. Glaze pen was added to his beak, eyes, and goggle lenses for dimension and shine.

Old Lily Kate Basic Grey patterned papers from my scrap stash were layered, placed inside an often used Clockworks Cuttlebug folder, and run through the Big Kick. Once out, Pumice Stone and Brushed Corduroy Distress inks were sponged on and a touch of Stonewashed Adirondack ink was added as well.

The sentiment from the late, lamented Odd Bird Planet was stamped onto another scrap of Lily Kate paper, die cut, and layered onto another die cut and a wonkily cut strip of Lily Kate paper. All edges were sponged because I can't abide white edges. Yes. I'm picky. After all, I'm a Virgo.

The finishing touch was to add Ideology Game Spinners and some matching brads.

Thanks for visiting today!

5 comments:

  1. Love this! It looks almost like our parakeet, Jade. :)
    Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathi, love the parakeet and your background art rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathi, love your budgie! I had one named Max many years ago. He had a vocabulary of 42 words. Freaky how I remember that number, huh? LOL! Love your bird with his goggles! Love your treatment of your papers! Way cool! And I know what you mean about white edges. I usually color mine, too--but I am not a Virgo. So what's up with that? Hmmmmm? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. How stinkin awesome is that bird with aviator glasses! Love the embossed gears and your inking looks fantastic.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great steampunk card and the perfect background! That parakeet is so cool and the way you colored him makes him really stand out. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete