Monday, June 4, 2012

Skull Appreciation Day Blog Hop!

I've joined Smeared & Smudged's Skull Appreciation Day Blog Hop because I appreciate my skull. It holds my brain, eyeballs, mouth, nose, ears, and a bunch of other useful stuff. I also think skulls are really cool looking. I'm not trying to be "hip". I just like 'em.

Anyways, I was going to try to get two projects done, but the second one is in the junk heap at the moment.

I should mention that Smeared & Smudged is a really wonderful place for those who don't go for cute or whimsical and prefer their art a bit edgier. I should also mention that it's the home for Smeared Ink which has some pretty nifty stamps.

I should also mention that there are lots of prizes to be had, so you should definitely hop!

You should have gotten here from

Ms. Ruin's blog.



So, here's the first project in three views.

Front View:


Top & Front View:


Back View:


My project is a recycled Curad Bandaid Tin. First I sprayed the tin (and my hand) with silver spray paint. While I let it dry and destinkify, I went to work on the stampy parts.

The tin features the Alter Skull from the Bombshell's Alter Skull set. I colored it with Copic markers and then cut it out, the used my VersaMarker to ink up the skull portion, and heat emboss three layers of clear embossing powder. I need to buy that stuff in bulk. Hmmm. Is that's even possible? Anyone know?

Then I lost what I laughingly refer to as my mind (See where the helpful skull thing should have helped?) and used my Stamp-a-ma-jig and the Three Roses stamp from the Dead Necessities set to stamp and mask and stamp and mask and stamp and mask until I darn near passed out.

If that wasn't bad enough (should it be "were"?), I then colored all of those freaking roses and leaves with my Copics, using the same color combo I used for the Alter Skull That took a while. Then I decided it needed something else and I needed to eat up more time so I sprayed it with Pearl Pearls Embossing Mist. It took awhile to dry, but it got all shimmery, which is cool. I love shimmery things. I must've been a Magpie in a past life. I like Magpies. They're very handsome in their formal attire.

I also used the Head Stone Skeleton stamp (flying skull) from the Dead Necessities set, stamped it, colored it, and heat embossed it with three layers of clear embossing powder. I stacked onto three layers of cardstock and attached it over the ribbon "handle" that had been attached to the top of the tin using red liner tape. Love that stuff though that red liner is irritating as all get out.

I wrapped the dried shimmery stamped colored rose paper around the tin, adhered the Alter skull, and added some glittery skulls tape that I got for cheap at Michael's on November 1st.

Thanks for visiting. I might be back with my second project, but if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath.

You're supposed to go to the Bombshell Stamps Blog next!


Here's the Blog Hop List in case you've gotten lost or want to go around again.

Terra

Tori

Black Dragon

Monique

Helen

Lady Brayton

Fiona

Christine

Jane

Judy

Alison

Susan

Andrea

Smudger Challenge

Laura

Lisa

Kristy

Steph

Glittery Katie

Lisa

Kapree

Ms. Ruin

Kathi

Bombshell Stamps Blog

Dianne

Donna

Nydia

Lady Coral

Suzi

Julia

Patti

Miko

Renee

Wendy

Christina

Hazel

Skye

Wenchkin

Betsy

Scrapbook Stamp Society



I shall enter this in the following challenge:
Simon Says Stamp Challenge: "Anything Goes"

40 comments:

  1. Soooo cool. Very very very cool x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and creepy at the same time. Love this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! your altered tin is fantastic - you put so much time and talent into making it great and it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning stunning stunning i really love this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely GORGEOUS! WOW on all that stamping and masking. Gorgeous coloring. Well worth all the work. Fabulous! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Crazy Lady, what a cool little tin! So much work you put into it, too! I agree that we need our skulls, though mine is filled with a lot of empty space. And I can't stand the double-sided tape with the red backer. I like Scor-Tape, or the tape by Xpress It much better--so much easier to use, and it evens tears, so you don't have to cut it! Great job on your tin! And thanks for my morning giggle! :^)
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, This HAS to be my fave thing so far. I love, love, love it. It is breathtakingly beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally Awesome!! Love your coloring... and I love the colors you picked!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, wow, wow! Your altered tin is completely gorgeous! And I enjoyed reading your description of how you put it together almost as much as the project itself.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathi,

    You know I absolutely adore you but I have to tell you when I saw your project I had two thoughts in fast succession:

    " Wow! Gorgeous!"

    and

    " Did she lose her freaking mind?"

    That is a lot of stamp-a-ma-jigging and coloring, my friend. I don't know how you did it.

    Consider me impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful tin love the colors and the skullies. The flowers...nice touch superb art. Thanks.
    susan s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your altered tin a very cool project xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is gorgeous, love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome idea, great use of a bandaid tin! Love what you have done to it, and w/ the handles way cool. This is so Fabo! I love it!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! Fabulous tin!! LOVE your color combo and your colored roses and skull are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow - all that masking and stamping, but it was so worth it! Awesome project! That tin would look good here on my desk btw ;) lol TFS

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG your time and effort really paid off, cos that is absolutely beautiful, i love everything about it, it really is stunning
    hugs
    Suzi
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adored this! The colors are wonderful and the skulls looks adorable together, what a beautiful piece!

    Happy Skull Day! Visit my blog if you have some time, there’s a giveaway for the blog hop!

    Kisses from Nydia.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's cool!! What a great use of the old can too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am in love with this tin!!!!!!!! I love it... I think that explains everything... Haha, but well its amazing, I can't figure anything else to say about it

    ReplyDelete
  21. I is a perfect recycled project. I love how you did the lid.
    Hugz,
    Christine Garner

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! Love the color combo. It's beautiful!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very lovely Curad tin- and what a great item to recycle with skulls! After all, where WOULD we be without the plethora of bandaids that hold us together. I may have to spiffy up a tin for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. GORGEOUS!! STUNNING!! Great colors! love all the hard work as it paid off wonderfully!
    BRAVA!! this is in my top 3 favs for this hop!
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! This blows me away! Your tin is beyond amazing! The amount of work involved makes me want to pass out, but your hard work has paid off. Absolutely Stunning! Thanks for hopping with us!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow - who would have thought a bandage container could be so gorgeous??? Your coloring is phenomenal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love, love, love your altered tin, Kathi! Wow, what alot of work, but so worth the effort. And, yes you can buy clear embossing powder by the pound. Such beautiful & soft colors that shimmer - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Kathi, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  29. great work! really beautiful tin. xxlisa

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowie! Now THATs a lot of stampin!!! End result - total gorgeous-ness. What a fab project :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is really awesome...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. super awesome tin! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's a bandaid tin?! Your project is so cool! I love what you did with the skull and your colored masked roses - even if you say you lost your mind doing it, lol. Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, this is gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think this is stunning. Totally one of the best projects I've seen for this hop. Amazing colors. It's serene and creepy. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Damn girl that's a lot of coloring!! But it looks amazing and the skulls around the bottom rock and love how the main skull is flowered...too cool

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete