Friday, June 15, 2012

June's Bombshell Sketch challenge!

As you know, I create monthly sketches over at Bombshell Stamps. Please feel free to grab your Bombshell stamps and have a go at the sketch. If you do create a project, please share it with us over at Bombshell's Forum and at Bombshell's Blog. Sharing your project at both web sites will give you two chances to win your choice of a free set of Bombshell Stamps! I think that's worth playing for!!! (Yes. I watch Survivor.)


Here's June's sketch:


Here's my take on the sketch:


My leopard is actually a panther from the Panther Tattoo set by Bombshell Stamps.

I googled "panther" to check coloration and markings and discovered that lions, tigers, leopards, and jaguars are members of the genus panthera.

The panther stamp is actually a solid stamp, which I don't use often as I prefer open line images. I decided to make my panther into a leopard by trying something different. I stamped the panther using Butterscotch Adirondack ink by Ranger. I then colored over the ink using YR20, YR24, and YR27 Copic markers and added his spots using a C10 Copic marker.

My leopard was then painted with a layer of Winsor & Newton masking fluid, which was allowed to dry. I airbrushed E55 over the leopard, then layed the Wood Grain stencil from Crafter's Workshop over the piece and airbrushed with E57. When I was done, the mask was peeled off and I scratched the paper to add claw marks to the "wood".

A black Glaze gel pen was used to add both dimension and shine to the leopard's claws, nose, and eyes. An Inkssentials white gel pen was added to whiten his teeth.

An embossing stylus was used on the outline of the image and on certain lines to mark the edges. The cardstock was flipped over, put onto a piece of craft foam, and I went to work with the embossing stylus. This added extra dimension to the piece and made the leopard literally pop from the background.

Here's a close up that shows the embossed leopard:


The leopard print paper, used in the strips and behind the computer generated sentiment, was created by airbrushing white paper with the same YR24 and YR27 that I used on the leopard. The orange paper was then stamped repeatedly with Onyx VersaFine ink using the leopard-print stamp from the Bombshell Patterns set.

Black cardstock was embossed using a leopard-print embossing folder by Cuttlebug, that I was lucky to find marked down at Michael's.

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
Crafty Cats Weekly Challenge: Embossing
Craft Your Passion #114: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp & Show: Anything Goes
Outlawz Twisted Thursdays: Anything Goes/Animal

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm always so impressed by the amount of technical craft stuff you do on your cards!! I don't know how to do half of the cool stuff you do...... v.envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi, what a great take on your sketch! Love this! So many cool techniques to create this, and I love them all! :^)
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I love this! You always rock the details and are so creative! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the techniques you used. What a great amount of work you put into this. Beautiful. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Crafty Catz this week.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathi
    A gorgeous and fabulous card love the image and fabulous technique,thankyou for joining us this week at CraftyCatz
    Hugs Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card and image, fabulous layout. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous card, thanks for sharing your lovely creation with us at CRAFTY CATZ x carol

    ReplyDelete