Thursday, June 7, 2012

Imagine, Wonder, Time -- Steampunk!!!

Way back when, before I started papercrafting, I was an avid reader. I discovered fantasy and science fiction way back in college (when dinosaurs roamed the "Magic Mountain" in rural Ohio). After graduation, I re-read Jules Verne, then discovered William Gibson, who has been associated with both the cyber-punk and steampunk subsets of science fiction.

You're probably asking yourself, "Why in heck is she blathering on about all this?" The answer is that when I start making cards using steampunk images, I like to put them in fantasy type scenes.

Like this:


The landscape is composed of layered striped patterned paper adhered to a matching pattern from the same My Mind's Eye Stella & Rose Hazel 6x6 pad. This was placed into my often-used Timeworks Cuttlebug folder for a ride through my Big Kick. When it came out, I sponged both Weathered Wood and Peacock Feathers Distress ink over the high spots of the embossing, then edged it using Black Soot Distress ink.

The Clockworks-Dark (FA-519-I) stamp from page 14 of the new catalog was stamped onto pale yellow paper using Wild Honey Distress Ink. This was die cut using a Pinked Circle Nestabilities, then kept in the die so I could use a great new tool, Ranger’s Inkssentials Craft Nibs & Nib Holder, to add more Distress Ink into the edgy bits. This piece was then cut in half and slid under the top most "hill".

Clouds were cut from checkered vellum using Memory Box' Clouds and strewn about the sky.

The Victorian Boots (FA-516-I) stamp from page 10. was stamped using Onyx Black VersaFine ink, heat set, then colored with Copic markers. The buttons were highlighted with Glaze pen to give them some dimension and shine. Small Grungeboard wings were painted with a silver Adirondack Paint Dabber, which also added some texture. They were layered and then the boot was added using a double layer of dimensional foam.

I knew that I hoarded stuff for a reason! I found the perfect words for this scene in my stash. They're Tim Holtz/Junkitz clear epoxy stickers. They were so old that I had to peel the cellophane wrapper off of them!

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall be entering this card in the following challenge(s):
• Simon Says Stamp & Show "Texture" challenge



6 comments:

  1. This is so cool and creative!!! Love how you've done the wing on the boot and girl those are some ooooold stickers:)!!

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a creative and fun card - love your layers and flying boot! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH! I LOVE this! Such a cool card design and loving all the die cuts & textures/dimension! And I still don't get how you made the boot look so real and dimensional and textured! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool and unique card, Kathi! Love the boot and the wing attached to it! And the embossing is very cool on this. :^)
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really cool Steampunk card. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stopping by for the Moxie Fab Out & About Challenge!

    I love your steam punk card! Great job! Have you read the Mortal Instruments series or Infernal Devices series? They are young adult but I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete