Saturday, June 23, 2012

Anniversary Gatefold Card

Greetings! Here's another project that got away from me. So odd when that happens, but I just "go with the flow" and see what happens!

This card was prompted by Craft Your Passion's Flips & Fold challenge. I'm ever-so-boring and usually do regular fold cards, so I decided to do a gatefold card.

I was also prompted by Simon Says Stamp & Show's "Brown" challenge, so the card is predominantly brown.

Lastly, I was inspired by this stamp, May I have this dance (VB-239-P) from pg. 5 of Third Coast Stamps Late Winter 2008 supplement. It made me think of Cinderella, hence the blue dress, though I could see coloring it in white for a wedding card or any other color for other occasions as well.

Outside with Belly Band


Inside:



Detail of "Belly Band":


I tried some new stuff for this card. A while back, someone had told me that the Fiskar's fingertip craft knife made cutting things a snap, so being me, I bought it and used it for some stuff but never for "fussy cutting" an entire image. Then someone else told me that a glass mat made all the difference in the world when using a craft knife. I already had one of those, but used it with my hot knife for cutting EZ foam, so it was rather gooped up with excess adhesive. Then my daughter's friend gifted me with a second glass mat, so I tried using a regular kraft knife on it and was delighted, so I decided to try "fussy cutting" this rather detailed image with the fingertip craft knife on the glass mat and was excited by the result.

So that was the first thing that was new.

The second thing was digitally manipulating patterned paper to make it work for my purposes. Since I was kind if in the "Cinderella" mode, I needed a nice background for my couple. I had an 8x8 Once Upon a Time pad by DCWV, but the piece I wanted to use wasn't working. The couple would have been like the 50' woman (Do you remember that movie?) and Paul Bunyon. So I scanned the sheet, scaled it up, and printed it a few times to use for the outside, the inside, and the belly band (that term reminds me of those wacky weight loss commercials. I don't know about you, but I LOVE the idea of having a vibrating belt make my belly disappear).

So, I separated the couple for the outside of the card by masking their hands before inking the stamp. The I stamped the couple a second time, fussy cut them using my handy-dandy glass mat-fingertip kraft knife combo), and colored 'em with Copic markers.

Please note that the print on the belly band lines up with the patterned paper underneath it. I'm cool like that. :D "Once Upon a Time" came from the small pad. (Yes, I have the 4" x 6" pad and the 8" x 8" pad.) It was cut with a Nestabilities heart die. The gold paper is this super-cool wrinkly gold paper that I found in the box where I keep my Dresden trim.

"And they lived happily ever after." was die cut using some old Indigo QuicKutz dies. The sentiment is a sticker by Stampendous and it's on an Alterations die cut banner.

Ta-dah! I'm done blathering on endlessly. At least for this post.

Except for two more things.

1) Thanks for visiting today!

2) I shall enter this card in the following challenges.
Craft Your Passions #115: Flips and Folds
Simon Says Stamp & Show: A Bit of Brown challenge
Paper Play Challenge: 2012-Week 25: Die cuts!
Crafts & Me Challenges: #89: Anything Goes

7 comments:

  1. Cool, Kathi! I love your coloring of the couple and how they pop off the brown colored background! Also can't believe all the design details you go through - including the band matching up, lol. Beautiful! I have a fingertip cutter thingie, but have never used it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip on the glass mat...I can't believe you cut that out with a crafting knife!! Beautiful and creative design and love how the inside coordinates with the outside...gorgeous

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathi, I'd love it if something could magically make my stomach disappear! LOL!
    This card is meticulously put together--everything lines up, OMG! I think I would have gone crazy doing that! Really fabulous job on your images, too! And thanks for the tip on the glass mat. I don't have one, but may have to get one now! :^)
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly wonderful card! Such a lot of work. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh this is AMAZING agree with Anesha this much have use many minutes or hours to finish this lovely card...

    I am also joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge, my Creation is number 181, would you mind to see it on my blog?Many thanks before :) hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is just AWESOME!!! I love it!! You used some of my favorite paper and it goes perfecly with the stamps from Third Coast that you used. A great idea.

    ReplyDelete