Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Take care of our home!

It's April, which means that spring is in full swing, the grass is green, the trees are abloom, and the birds are in breeding plumage. All these are Mother Nature's way of showing us Earth's beauty and to remind us to take care of our planet.

I decided to play along with a few challenges, such as One Sweet Challenge's April challenge to re-use, recycle, or up-cycle using a Sweet Pea Image.

I opted to use this fabulous sketch from Card Patterns. Sketches are great because they take away some of the brain work and my brain can always use a break! :D

Card Patterns Sketch #160:


My recycled/upcycled item was a paperback Roget's Thesaurus that fell victim to Hurricane Irene. I was able to dry it out. I tried to find the word "recycling" in there. No such term!!! Check out that price too!


My card:


Close-up of the flowers:


Here are the details.

I colored ching-chou kuik's Fairy of the Night (on sale for $2.00 @ Sweet Pea Stamps) using Copic markers. A bit of Spica glitter pen was used on her necklace and facial tattoos. I stole an idea from myself and made the ball held by the fairy into the Earth. Since I diecut a rectangular image with an oval, I had to extend some of the dotted lines, which I did with my new Copic Multi-liner.

The patterned papers are from the Gertie 6x6 pad from the Stella & Rose collection by MME. Lately, I'm loving MME. Totally!!!

When Irene came a callin' last September, she flooded my basement. A very old paperback Roget's Thesaurus was among the injured. Fortunately, I was able to dry her out, but the spine was shot and the pages were badly yellowed. There's a photo above that shows just how old that copy was. It cost 95¢!!! Anyways, I kept her because I figured she'd work just fine for papercrafting!!! So, the flowers were punched from her pages, colored with Copics, sewed together with a button, and sprayed with Perfect Pearls Pearl mist for some shine.

The sentiment is from The Enchanted Gallery's Recycling unmounted sheet.

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall enter this card in the following challenges:
One Sweet Challenge -- April "Recycling"
Card Patterns #160 Sketch
Outlawz Copic/Promarker Fridays "Inspired by Nature"
Oozak "Anything Goes" challenge

10 comments:

  1. wonderful card, thanks for joining in One Sweet Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous coloring! Love your take on the sketch and those flowers turned out beautifully...well done.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the colors you used, your beautiful coloring of that fairy, your making the ball into Earth and how you used old dictionary pages for the flowers! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card and such a gorgeous image! I love using text papers for crafting and managed to get a Websters dictionary from a junk store for a few bucks!! Glad you managed to save yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and beautifully colored. Thank you for joining us at Oozak's first challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card, Kathi! I love the image and you've colored her wonderfully! Great flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card! Thanks for joining us this week at Card Patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card Kathi! Your coloring is beautiful and I love that you recycled your thesaurus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card!! Love the way you colored her.

    ReplyDelete