Saturday, April 21, 2012

Building the card stash: Birthday

I don't know about you, but whenever I need a birthday card, I don't have one that works for the recipient. That's odd considering that I probably have a few thousand handmade cards filed in various places. So, I'm building my stash of birthday and thank you cards since those are the ones I need most frequently.

I decided to take a bunch of challenges with this card. I took Outlawz Monday Greetings "Distressed" challenge, plus used I used this week's sketch from the Outlaws Wednesday Challenge Group

Here's the sketch:


Here's my take on the sketch:



I used Garden Eyes by Susana's Custom Art. I won her so I'm bound and determined to use her often. Besides, she's fun to color. I love those eyes!!! She was colored with Copic markers (list to follow). Winsor & Newton Iridescent Medium was used on her wings. I masked her with Eclipse tape, then airbrushed BG90, BG93, BG72, and a touch of Y000 over her.

The big honkin' flower was die cut from white metallic paper using old Boss Kut dies. I inked 'em with Rose Red and Angel Pink Memento ink, shaped them with a stylus, then stacked them. The swirls are that same metallic paper cut with QuicKutz dies that I colored with BG53. The leaves were punched from the same paper and then colored with YG23. Note: when you ink white metallic paper, it retains its shimmer!

Patterned papers from Basic Grey's 6x6 Lemonade papers were used for the card. The edges were distressed with the TH Tonic Distressing tool, then sponged with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink, which was also used on the reverse of the paper for that rolled edge.

The sentiment is from the Mixed Messages set by Paper Trey Ink and was stamped on a tiny tag by QuicKutz.

Copic Markers used:
Skin: E50, YR000, YR0000, R11
Hair: E51, E53, YR30, YR31, Y000
Eyes: YG21, YG23
Shirt: Y11, Y00; BG53,57, YG21, 23, 25
Pants and Shoes: R81, 83
Wings: Custom Less Than R81, R83.

Thanks for visiting today!

I shall be entering this card in the following challenges.
Outlawz Monday Greetings "Distressed" challenge
Outlaws Wednesday Challenge Group
Simon Says "Anything Goes"
iCopic Lovers Challenge #78 "Spring Colors"
Oozak Challenges "Anything Goes"

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Kathi! I love the papers and the gorgeous image! Great coloring and design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Another gorgeous card! Love the designer paper too! Love the layout you have created. thank you again for joining us at iCopic and playing along with out challenge!
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your wonderfull card with the DT from SSS and S. Thank you for sharing, hugs terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beauty with Garden Eyes! I love the spring colors you used on her and that gorgeous dimensional flower you created!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome coloring and love the distressed edging! Beautiful work

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete